Image Sizes & Naming Conventions for Club Competitions
Images for projected images using the club projector are to be sized as follows:
At no more than 1400 pixels wide by 1050 pixels high
(N.B. if in portrait format, the maximum height will be 1050 pixels)
Landscape format image – maximum of 1400 pixels in width (by no more than 1050 pixels high)
Portrait format image – maximum of 1050 pixels in height
Square format image – maximum 1050 x 1050 pixels
Images must be in JPEG and RGB format at maximum quality with sRGB colour space.
(No TIFF’s, PSD’s, CYMK or other formats and colour spaces allowed).
If you are unsure about JPEG format or sRGB colour space, please come and see the Competition Secretary or speak to a member of the committee for advice.
Each image should be named like this:
Number in sequence > image name > the member’s initials
with no spaces and only UNDERSCORES _ used
Example – like this for a competition with 3 images allowed:
EXAMPLE: An entry for the Festive Season competition would read like this – 1FestiveSeason_Snowman_RN.jpg
or this for general display:
and so on…
and put in a NAMED folder on the memory stick
There must be no spaces between the image number and the title or in the titles, and no dots other than shown. And they must be supplied as jpeg’s with .jpg at the end.
It is also good practice to get into the habit of naming your images, especially for competition entries, such as 1Redhead_Portrait_RN.jpg rather than just the image number – as 1P5101756_RN.jpg doesn’t sound very interesting! It also helps with the categories used on the club website.
Website Image Sizes and Naming
Images for use on the club website should follow the same guidelines as above.
Especially important is the use of NO SPACES in the name, and the members initials to help identify image galleries.
Please make sure any images supplied are watermarked. A simple copyright with the word copyright and the members name is all that is required – usually bottom right of the image – would be fine.
YPU Competition Image Sizes
The YPU Sizes are now the same size as the club spec as above, see below the extract from the YPU Guidelines.
13/02/13 – UPDATE
23. Images must be in JPEG and RGB format at maximum quality with sRGB colour space, at no more than1400 pixels wide by 1050 pixels high (N.B. if in portrait format, the maximum height will be 1050 pixels.) As images will be judged at a size adjusted to 1400 x 1050 pixels, they are best entered at these dimensions. Any image which is less than the maximum allowed in either direction may be filled with a colour, design or texture to form a border. Images will be projected with a black background. Image size and resolution are completely irrelevant.
24. Each image should be separate on the CD/DVD, i.e. not in folders / directories and the filename should be the image number, title and the author’s initials with underscores between the words of the title and the author’s initials, e.g. 1Gazania_PAR.jpg, 2Mist_PAR.jpg, 3On_the_Beach_PAR.jpg (Images 1, 2 and 3 from Pat A. Reed.) There must be no spaces between the image number and the title and no dots other than those shown in the examples. Images from other authors are also numbered 1, 2, 3 etc. Do not number the full Club entry in sequence. The file name must be the same on the CD/DVD as on the entry form.
For the full 2013 YPU Competition Rules see here (opens PDF file)
- About the Club
- Image Sizing & Naming Conventions
- Copyright Information
- Members Area
- 2017 Programme & Competitions
- 2016 Programme & Competitions
- 2015 Programme & Competitions
- 2014 Programme & Competitions
- 2013 Programme & Competitions
- 2012 Programme & Competitions
- Archived Image Galleries
- Member Galleries